Tuesday, November 15, 2005
*.* the last 200 metres *.*
So fast, after many hundreds of tuitions, this is the day where my students will take the plunge - Econs Paper 3.I had finished my rounds of tuition with all my three kids today (Remember the TJ boy stopped earlier?) Anyway, the point being, I got really worried for them. And I think I was unconsciously putting pressure on them. I was flabbergasted at one who somehow, suddenly have the memory of a clownfish. Whatever that we did for the past 6 months, have become so vague to her. Until I asked her," do you tend to space out before your exams?" And she nodded. Immediately, *oh dear* flashed through my mind. And the other one... suddenly lost her steam, her motivation. And I got worried for her cos suddenly, her priority is not on the important stuff anymore. It seems like she's putting emphasis but it's not. And no matter what I did, she doesn't seem to respond. She wants to end tuition early. I know she's tired but we barely started for an hour. It's her freakin As' and there's no sense of urgency. I got worried.The other one...thank God for tuition was a breeze. The only thing I hope and pray for is that he doesn't fall into the temptation of watching Star Trek VCD (yesh, before his paper) when he haven't read through his notes yet. He got the stuff but tends to be a bit complacent. And he tends to give in to sianness. If he feels sian, he doesn't want to study. The temasek JC one... I really wonder how he is doing nw. I feel so helpless. I want to help him but he's rejecting it. I dunno whether it was a good decision for him to stop tuition so prematurely. But I did what I could do. Have been smsing him every day a motivational quote to encourage him, sent him stuff to read up and have been smsing him essay tips continuously today. My kids are going on the battlefield today. And I feel like I am on the battlefield with them today. Until I cannot sleep even though it is 2:20 am now.I guess, this is the batch of tuition kids that I feel attached to, besides the last harvest batch I took 2 years ago. This has been the most challenging batch cos I had the most difficulty in getting them motivated to study. It's an eye opener for me cos' they come in different characteristics: 1) notes that are like kiam chye, not filed and scattered all over the whole house. I had to literally make my kid number his notes from 1 to the end.2) I taught my kid to file his notes. For the first time.3) notes that are totally neat and filed. Except that, she doesn't know any single thing about the content.4) One who finds it sian to have tuition.5) little condfidence, with near suicidal tendencies, and despondent.6) Complacent and needs me to burst ego so that he will learn to start from scratch. I will never ever forget him asking me before this tuition was confirmed," Can you guarantee me an A?" And I told him,"I can guarantee you if you work hard."7) One who simply nods in agreement but I think she only got 40% of what I just said. 8) One who chooses to nod in agreement but in fact, mind is elsewhere.The list goes on.I have been quite fortunate in fact, to have loving parents who would feed me with food everytime I give tuition. God Bless their souls cos otherwise, I will have to teach with an empty stomach.This has been the most challenging batch I ever taught. It has been difficult getting them motivated or even develop a liking for Econs. I have tried. It has worked. The rest is up to them. I have watched each one of them change to a better person - more serious attitude, a person with dreams, a person who wants to try, a student who knows what is Economics now.I really hope they will do well. I'm not aiming for As' or Bs', but just better than their prelims or maybe, the highest grade they ever got in their JC lifetime. So that at least they will feel a sense of achievement. So that at least they will discover that hardwork truly pays off. So that they will experience that if you want something, go all out to achieve your dreams.At 2pm tomolo, I will be in the battlefield with you guys. My best won't stop here. It will be in the exam hall. Press on students. Don't give up. It ain't easy; I know you have your fears; be brave and move on. Try your best. Dear God, please take care of these 4 young kids I have here. Naughty they are, but a good heart and vulnerable soul they have, the journey is going to end soon, may they end this Econs journey with hope, courage and confidence. Anoint them with your wisdom, courage and hope O Lord. Mother Mary, All angels and Saints, papa in Heaven, pray for them. Amen.
A Child of God blogged @ | 2:40 am
