Child Of God

*.* Child of God *.*

Birthday: 14th October
Occupation: Cultivator; Moulder; Nurturer
Currently I am inspired: To renovate my blog
To start on my next phase of new life in 2007


Today's Verse






*.* Previous Posts *.*

*.* My Friends *.*

~juliet~
~elaine~
~jorlyn~
~leslie~
~melissa~
~the dangerous lives of altar boys~
~the sleepless eye~
~opus dei~
~word among us~
~regnum christi~
~new american bible~
~singapore pastoral institute~
~catholic spirituality centre~

*.* Drop a prayer *.*

*.* Archives *.*

Created by Charisma
Found at Blogskins

Monday, September 06, 2004

*.* The Way of the Cross *.*

Luke 14:25-33
Great crowds were traveling with Jesus, and he turned and addressed them, "If any one comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. Which of you wishing to construct a tower does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion? Otherwise, after laying the foundation and finding himself unable to finish the work the onlookers should laugh at him and say, ´This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.´ Or what king marching into battle would not first sit down and decide whether with ten thousand troops he can successfully oppose another king advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops? But if not, while he is still far away, he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms. In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple.”


From the pope, taken from www.zenit.org:

"What man can know the will of God?" (Wisdom 9:13). The question, posed in the Book of Wisdom, has an answer: Only the Son of God, made man for our salvation in Mary's virginal womb, can reveal God's plan to us. Only Jesus Christ knows the way to "attain wisdom of heart" (Responsorial Psalm) and obtain peace and salvation.

And what is this way? He has told us in today's Gospel: It is the way of the cross. His words are clear: "Whoever does not bear his cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:27).

"To carry the cross after Jesus" means to be ready for any sacrifice for love of him. It means to put anything or anyone before him, not even the persons most dear to us, not even our own life.

To adhere to Christ is an exacting choice. It is no accident that Jesus speaks of the "cross." However, he specifies immediately after: "after me." This is the important message: We do not bear the cross alone. He walks before us, opening the way with the light of his example and the strength of his love.

There is no greater love than that of the cross; there is no greater freedom than that of love; there is no fuller fraternity than that born from the cross of Christ.

My mustardseeds:

With every conversion, there is the way of the cross. The way of the cross is usually referred to as Stations of the Cross which we perform as acts of penance during Lent. But taken on a broader sense, the way of the cross is the path which every Christian has to take. But the difference lies in the way we carry the cross.

I went for mass yesterday, after class. I knew that the mass was touching on the renouncing oneself and carrying the cross. And I just felt that I should go for the mass. Furthermore, I was very troubled during class today. I wasn't at peace. I felt very troubled, very bogged down, very weak in faith. And I just wanted to run to Jesus, in the Holy Eucharist where I could seek solace, peace and strength.

During the entire mass, there were many hymns that touched me. I wanted to cry but controlled cos it was really too embarrassing to cry infront of the congregation. But during Holy Communion, when the Body and Blood of Christ is in me, His presence was so overpowering that He broke down all my defences. I broke down, cried a lot and I just couldn't stop. Perhaps these are my tears that I have stored up and waiting to release onto someone, perhaps a dear friend. I was crying with Jesus. And honestly,,, I was always waiting for someone physical to cry to but this person turned out to be Jesus.

I didn't pray but instead, i offered up all my burdens onto the Lord. I told Him... I am giving everything to You. Take it away from me.... lighten this burden for it is just too heavy. I do not know what to do ... Lord, grant me peace within my internal struggles." And I cried and cried... would not have stopped had not been for the Thanksgiving hymn...

The burden has not gone away. The pressure is still there. But I am stronger now. I can't say that I am totally EMBRACING this cross. But I can say that I am carrying this cross.

What touched me from the Pope's words are this: It is no accident that Jesus speaks of the "cross." However, he specifies immediately after: "after me." This is the important message: We do not bear the cross alone. He walks before us, opening the way with the light of his example and the strength of his love.

What struck me deeply is that: Jesus carried the first cross of God, to die on the cross willingly, even though He was purely an innocent lamb. And no matter what, whenever we have crosses, Jesus would be the first one to carry our cross. Jesus does not watch from Heaven and helps us as and when we call upon Him. Instead, He is with us, carrying this cross. And so great the love He has for us, that He goes through all trials and temptations, FIRST BEFORE US.

During the Novena Procession, I offered up my most earnest petitions... those that I have been searching for answers for a long long time. And I asked the Lord... to please make my (and the others whom I have prayed for) paths straight. Help me to see my path...clear all obstacles and make it straight.

My path is straighter now. I can't see what is infront of me. But I am so greatly touched that before me, Jesus is there, testing out the grounds for me. I mean, He is going through everything for me first and when it's "safe and sound", He will say... " hey Hazel my child.. it's ok to walk on this path... Go on.. walk on and I am with You till the end of time."

I cannot be like Mother Mary who wholeheartedly says "Be it unto me, according to your word." But I can only pray to the Lord... "Be it unto me according to your word, but give me the grace to carry the cross."

I am not strong. I am a weak person. And I thank God for giving me the humility to acknowledge my brokenness. For without this brokenness, I would not have fled to the embrace of Jesus and Mother Mary. I sought refuge in the Holy Eucharist where I gained peace, serenity. I ran to Mother Mary where she helped me in my weak faith. And I wouldn't have understood what the way of the cross means... perhaps it would be MY WAY, instead of GOD'S WAY.

Dearest Lord... help me to embrace this cross. It is really difficult cos I do not have anything at all. But Lord, I have You. And Lord, in my nothingness, help me to give myself to You just as You given yourself up for me. Help me to embrace this cross.

Mother Mary... embrace me.. cos I know there's no one I can share this cross with, except with Your Son, Jesus and you. Embrace me so that I will learn how to love Your Son as wholeheartedly as you. Amen.


Who can know God’s counsel, or who can conceive what the Lord intends? For the deliberations of mortals are timid, and unsure are our plans. For the corruptible body burdens the soul and the earthen shelter weighs down the mind that has many concerns. And scarce do we guess the things on earth, and what is within our grasp we find with difficulty; but when things are in heaven, who can search them out? Or who ever knew your counsel, except you had given wisdom and sent your holy spirit from on high? And thus were the paths of those on earth made straight.
Wisdom 9:13-18b


A Child of God blogged @ | 10:49 am