Eternal rest grant unto Van, O Lord.
And let Your perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace, Amen.
I had one of the most touching masses today. At 230pm, I attended the funeral of Van Tuong Nguyen at the Good Shepherd Chapel @ Marymount Convent.
I didn't know it was that big. After all, I was under the impression that it will be a normal funeral mass. But when my brother, my sis and myself arrived at the gates of Marymount Convent, there were reporters there, including Chee Soon Juan. There were a few public supporters there who carried flowers in their hands.
I didn't have much impression of Van and his deeds. Bascially it was a lukewarm reaction to his hanging. But as I was talking about it with my bro and sis in the car, I imagined how it was like to 1) know that you are going to die and 2) just a few steps away from your death. Must be damn scary.
Taking the mother's side, I imagined how she felt. Helpless. Stabbed in pain through and through.
And then, his brother. Filled with guilt? After all, Van took on drug trafficking to pay off his brother's debts. I wonder if both brothers have reconciled. I'm sure they did cos Van had embraced Catholicism before he passed on. But I wonder whether his brother is truly set free.
Capital Punishment. Now I know why people are fighting for it to be abolished.
Because we are just outright judging people on a superficial basis. Their motives. And not their intentions.
Yes, Van did wrong. He trafficked drugs. But what was his intention? To save his bro from huge debts.
As the celebrant puts it aptly and strongly," Jesus died for us but Van died for his brother. Just as Mary stood by the cross, Van's mother could experience exactly what Mary went through more than 2000 years ago. Van's mother was pierced by sharp pain and sorrow."
That hit me real hard.
Van also had this close Singaporean friend who sacrificed his studies in Australia, had to come back to do NS. And everyday without fail for 3 years, he would visit Van. Bless him O Lord for he has such a kind soul.
Whenever Van has sweets or chocolates, he would share it with his prison inmates. He wants to spread love to those who don't even know Christ. Such great conds they have, that those prisoners on death row bid Van farewell by singing hymns as Van took on the rope. Van's favourite hymn was "Ave Maria". It was upon hearing this hymn that he decided to get baptised on his birthday last year, 1 day after the death sentence was announced. His favourite psalm was psalm 23.
I am indeed very emotionally burdened. I am mourning for Van and his family. There were times during the mass when I wanted to break down and cry but I controlled. But the people around me did not control. They were weeping; some sobbing uncontrollably.
Van spent his last hours peaceful and happy. He had requested to wear a robe because he felt he was ready to see God face to face. When I saw him at the coffin, I saw a face ever so serene, peaceful. He could be a fine, young and handsome man.
My prayers go out to Van and His family. I am very sure angels and saints will lead Van to God where he will be at eternal rest. And I pray that his brother will be set free from any guilt and that his family's tears of sorrow may be transformed into tears of hope, joy and peace.
For more information about Van,
http://www.omekanahuria.blogspot.com/http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17431097-2,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17435723-28101,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17438359-29277,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17433579-2,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17432747-2,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17432064-2,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17435264-2,00.htmlI encourage you to read the links above because they contain more information than any Singaporean newspapers.
For me, this is definitely a strong learning point to look at the intentions and not at the actions. To accept the person as a child of God. And to love one another, untirelessly.